One of the most significant advantages of having a cloud-based digital signage solution as your digital signage CMS is having content that changes regularly with very little effort. Putting an RSS feed into your digital signage presentation is one of the easiest ways to make sure your display is always showing fresh and up-to-date content. Finding the right RSS feed, however, is not always an easy task--there are millions of them to choose from. To help you out, we’ve made the below list of over 55 popular RSS feeds in education.
Before we get to the list, let’s make sure you know how to use them in our signage software. The below video will walk you through the widget and help you get started:
Some of the links below are RSS feeds; some are links to get the RSS feed--many feeds (such as CNN) have multiple feeds to pick from.
News RSS FeedsNews RSS feeds are perfect for almost any digital display; while most show current events from around the world, some can be customized to only show regional or domestic news.
- AP Top U.S. News (http://hosted.ap.org/lineups/USHEADS-rss_2.0.xml?SITE=RANDOM&SECTION=HOME)
- BBC News - Americas: World Edition (http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonline_world_edition/americas/rss.xml)
- CNN.com (http://rss.cnn.com/rss/cnn_topstories.rss)
- Daily Beast (http://feeds.feedburner.com/thedailybeast/articles)
- New York Times Home Page (http://feeds.nytimes.com/nyt/rss/HomePage)
- NPR Topics: News (http://www.npr.org/rss/rss.php?id=1001)
- Reuters (http://feeds.reuters.com/reuters/sportsNews?format=xml)
- USATODAY.com News - Top Stories (http://rssfeeds.usatoday.com/usatoday-NewsTopStories)
- Wall Street Journal (http://www.wsj.com/xml/rss/3_7085.xml)
- Washington Post: Today's Highlights (http://www.washingtonpost.com/rss/)
Sports RSS Feeds
If your display is located in a gym, locker room, or athletic department, these feeds will entertain viewers with the latest news from the world of sports; some can even be customized to show only specific sports and teams.
- AP Top Sports News (http://hosted.ap.org/lineups/SPORTSHEADS-rss_2.0.xml?SITE=VABRM&SECTION=HOME)
- ESPN Top News (http://www.espn.com/espn/rss/news)
- Fox Sports (http://api.foxsports.com/v1/rss?partnerKey=zBaFxRyGKCfxBagJG9b8pqLyndmvo7UU)
- New York Times - Sports (http://feeds1.nytimes.com/nyt/rss/Sports)
- Sports Illustrated (http://www.si.com/rss/si_topstories.rss)
Humor RSS Feeds
Sometimes it’s fun to give your audience a little laugh; with Rise Vision’s digital software CMS, you can even schedule your presentations so humor feeds will only be displayed periodically throughout the day.
- New Yorker Humor (http://www.newyorker.com/feed/humor)
- The Onion (http://www.theonion.com/feeds/rss)
Entertainment RSS Feeds
Humor is fun for laughs, but Hollywood news and gossip is another easy way to break up the mundane of regular news with something more fun. For added entertainment, pair the RSS feed with a quiz or trivia game.
- BuzzFeed (https://www.buzzfeed.com/index.xml)
- NPR Fresh Air with Terry Gross http://www.npr.org/rss/rss.php?id=13)
- NPR Topics - Arts & Culture (http://www.npr.org/rss/rss.php?id=1008)
- NPR Topics: Movies (http://www.npr.org/rss/rss.php?id=1045)
Technology RSS Feeds
People love gadgets. Technology feeds show the latest cutting-edge tech being released, and millennials especially like this type of news (for more tips on the kind of content millennials love, check out this blog).
- CNET (http://www.cnet.com/rss/news/)
- Macworld (http://rss.macworld.com/macworld/feeds/main)
- New York Times - Technology (http://feeds.nytimes.com/nyt/rss/Technology)
- NPR Technology (http://www.npr.org/rss/rss.php?id=1019)
- PC Magazine (http://feeds.pcmag.com/Rss.aspx/SectionArticles?sectionId=1475)
- PC World Magazine Latest News (http://feeds.pcworld.com/pcworld/latestnews)
- Surfing the Net with Kids (http://feeds.surfnetkids.com/SurfingTheNetWithKids)
- TechLEARNing.com (http://www.techlearning.com/RSS)
- Techworld.com (http://www.techworld.com/news/rss)
- TIME.com Gadget of the Week (http://feeds.feedburner.com/time/gadgetoftheweek)
- The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/rss/frontpage)
- Wired (http://www.wired.com/feed)
Science RSS Feeds
Science is a vast topic. While many of the feeds below deal with science in general, some deal with subsections within science (such as nature and space exploration); NASA even has a feed just for space missions--you can see all NASA feeds here.
- AP Top Science News (http://hosted.ap.org/lineups/SCIENCEHEADS-rss_2.0.xml?SITE=OHLIM&SECTION=HOME)
- National Geographic Adventure (http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/nga.xml)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (http://feeds.nature.com/nature/rss/current)
- NASA Breaking News (https://www.nasa.gov/rss/dyn/breaking_news.rss)
- ScienceDaily Headlines (http://feeds.sciencedaily.com/sciencedaily)
Finance RSS Feeds
Business schools and banks will benefit from using one of the many finance RSS feeds; while some cover business news in general, some or geared towards more specific topics (such as investing). CNN’s feed, in particular, has dozens of different topics to choose from.
- CNN Money (www.money.cnn.com/services/rss)
- The Economist (www.economist.com/rss)
- Investopedia (https://www.investopedia.com/rss/)
- MarketWatch (https://www.marketwatch.com/rss/)
- The Street (https://www.thestreet.com/static/rss.html)
Education RSS Feeds
While educational RSS feeds may not be the best for most displays, the feeds below work well in administrative offices.
- ASCD SmartBrief (http://www.smartbrief.com/servlet/rss?b=ASCD)
- NPR Topics: Education (http://www.npr.org/rss/rss.php?id=1013)
- U.S. Department of Education (https://www.ed.gov/feed)
Kid RSS Feeds
RSS feeds aren’t just for grownups! These feeds would be good additions to digital displays at elementary school campuses and churches with a dedicated kids area.
- Crafty Morning (craftymorning.com/feed)
- Design Dazzle (designdazzle.com/feed)
- The Imagination Tree (theimaginationtree.com/feed)
- Kids Activity Blog (kidsactivitiesblog.com/feed)
- Safe Kids Worldwide Blog (safekids.org/blog.xml/feed)
- Super Healthy Kids Blog (superhealthykids.com/blog/feed)
- Super Simple Learning Blog (http://supersimplelearning.com/blog/feed)
Photo RSS Feeds
Headlines and news snippets aren’t the only thing an RSS feed is good for. You can also use RSS to get daily photos to appear on your digital display with these feeds (make sure and also check out our post on using RSS quotes in your digital display).
- Animal of the Day (http://feeds.feedburner.com/animals)
- The Daily Puppy (http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheDailyPuppy)
- David Kleinert Photography (http://davidkphotography.com/index.php?x=rss)
- NASA Image of the Day (http://www.nasa.gov/rss/image_of_the_day.rss)
If you put an RSS into your presentation, we’d love to hear how it worked out! Drop us an email!